Ensuring alternative sustainable livelihood options and enhancing the income of fish farmers through scientific aqua culture in Sundarbans
In the current intiative mangrove Stewardship is intended to be promoted through scientific pisciculture and thereby increasing their income which ensures overall community development. The interventions will consider utilization of local resources without hampering the environment in any means. Scientific training, individual handholding and modelling with required resources aiming to increase the production with reduced input costs, facilitation to concerned markets will be provided. The project is an initiative by HERMĒS India as a part of their CSR and implemented in the Sundarbans region of South 24 Parganas in West Bengal.
Funded By: HERMĒS India Retail & Distributors Pvt Ltd
Project Duration: 2016-2017
1) Optimum utilization of waterbodies through scientific pisciculture in an integrated approach
2) Capacity building of the communities on scientific pisciculture
3) Adapting to climate change through promotion of sustainable livelihoods
4) Betterment of socio-economic condition through income enhancement
5) Documentation for replication of the success story
1) Final 15 Stewards who will practice scientific pisciculture has been identified in Kakdwip, Patharpratima , Mathurapur 2, Sandeshkhali 2, Gosaba and Basanti blocks in Sundarbans region of South 24 Parganas in West Bengal.
2) Scientific pisciculture has been started by the selected stewards facilitated by individual handholding and resource support.